name='keywords'/> Dance of the Phoenix: Reflections on Eclipses

Follow Me

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Reflections on Eclipses






Next week there is a lunar eclipse and Mercury goes retrograde a few days later, but this week seems to have less tension than the past month.  I know that some astrologers are referring to October as “Rocktober”, but the calmer energy that I feel this week has given me time to reflect.  The fact that Venus has left the sign of Scorpio and entered the sign of Sagittarius may be partially responsible for my sense of optimism and philosophical bent.

Lunar eclipses are described as supercharged full moons and their effects can be felt for about six weeks before and after they occur.  Solar eclipses are the supercharged new moons and one can feel  their effects for up to three months before and as long as one year afterwards.

I have been reflecting on how the eclipses of the past two years had hit my chart and impacted my life, and there was quite a story.  On July 1, 2011 there was a solar eclipse in 9 degrees of Cancer conjunct the south node of my moon.  I was apprehensive because an eclipse to the south node of the moon can be a predictor of health problems.  I tried not to dwell on that negative connotation and instead I continued my study of Reiki and obtained my Reiki Master certification in late July 2011.  But in October 2011 I suffered excruciating pain in my back and hips which was eventually diagnosed as a bulging disc and sciatica. When physical therapy offered me no relief for the pain, I opted for acupuncture.  It healed me physically as well as emotionally and spiritually. 

The lunar eclipse of June 4, 2012 in 14 degrees of Sagittarius exactly opposed my moon in Gemini in my 8th house.  This played out for me by getting hired in June to teach my first astrology workshop.  I wouldn’t be teaching the class until February 2013, but that was due to scheduling issues and it gave me ample time to prepare.  But it meant that I was getting paid to teach something I was passionate about and that was encouraging.

The solar eclipse on November 13, 2012 in 21 degrees of Scorpio conjuncted my Sun and Venus in the 2nd house.  A solar eclipse that conjuncts your sun is a strong predictor of significant changes in your life in the upcoming year. An eclipse to your sun can also indicate health issues coming to light.  As a reaction to increased demands and stressors at work, my health took a significant turn for the worse.  I suffered from headaches, insomnia and what I thought I were chest pains.  My doctor assured me that my discomfort was actually heart palpitations, not chest pains.  I was still not reassured.   I continued with my acupuncture sessions because acupuncture, in addition to meditation, had proved to be a valuable source of spirit calming and stress relief. In hindsight, I can see that this eclipse set in motion, combined with the impact of the Boston Marathon Bombing, the changes that would permanently alter the course of my life.

On May 10, 2013 there was a solar eclipse in 19 degrees of Taurus in my 8th house exactly opposing my sun in the 2nd house.  I was totally stressed out at work and frustrated that I did not have the time or energy to devote to astrology.  Ten days later there was the third of seven Uranus/Pluto squares.  Uranus in Aries was transiting my 6th house of work and health and Pluto in Capricorn was transiting my 3rd house of communication still conjuncting my north node.  I was feeling the pressure and knew that I had to find a way to get my health back on track and find a way to transform the way I made a living.  That is when I began thinking that I needed to consider accessing my retirement money to support myself while I attempted to launch my career as an astrologer.  It was a leap of faith and it terrified me.  But the reality of feeling stuck and the negative impact on my health were strong motivators for change.  And eclipses are all about change, no doubt about it.

And what about next week’s eclipse?  How will that play out for me?  It will be in 25 degrees of Aries in my 7th house opposing my Neptune in Libra in the 1st house.  I am choosing to believe that this will mark yet another spiritual adventure for me.  This eclipse will also be trining my Pluto in Leo, so I am not ruling out an encounter with my shadow side. And it will be squaring my Uranus and Jupiter in Cancer, so I suppose that I should be prepared for quite an adventure and my own personal version of “Rocktober”!

Speaking of adventures, I will be teaching an astrology workshop on October 26, 2013 called Knowledge is Power: Understanding Relationships Through Astrology from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Unity Church in Brookline.  I hope that you can join me.  If you are interested in registering, please go to this link:





No comments:

Post a Comment