name='keywords'/> Dance of the Phoenix: Sun in Cancer Opposing Pluto in Capricorn - The Real Fireworks

Follow Me

Friday, July 4, 2014

Sun in Cancer Opposing Pluto in Capricorn - The Real Fireworks



Happy 4th of July! Even if inclement weather cancels or reschedules fireworks in your neighborhood, as it did in Boston, rest assured that the Cancer Sun's opposition to Pluto in Capricorn will provide plenty of fireworks for America's birthday celebration!

Astrologer Pam Younghans eloquently pointed out in her weekly North Point Journal that oppositions are all about awareness because polarities exist, choices are available and we have opportunities to find new balance. The Sun in Cancer tempts us to hide from change, defend against it or just plain feel overwhelmed. We really need to acknowledge and nurture our inner child who is fearful of the changes that Pluto represents. With Pluto in Capricorn, those changes can manifest in threats to large corporations, economic giants and unstable governments.

This aspect is intensely personal for me because I have a natal Sun Pluto square in my chart and I am fully aware of the tension and havoc these two planets can wreak when they are not playing nicely. Adding to the mix is the fact that I am a Scorpio, which is ruled by Pluto. And I have my north node in Capricorn and south node in Cancer. My nodes have seen a lot of action in the last three years starting with Pluto on my north node in 2011, a solar eclipse on my south node in 2011 which precipitated a health crisis, and transiting Jupiter and Lilith on my south node last summer. Those two transits helped me to take a leap of faith and quit a job that I had held for 17 years to pursue work that I loved.

This Sun Pluto opposition is still within striking distance of my nodes, so yes folks; I acknowledge that I have some big-time fears about the changes that are yet to come. I have always described my Cancer south node Capricorn north node as a tug of war between the pull of the past and the promise of the future. I am still struggling to reconcile the two. And the other piece of this nodal placement revolves around finding balance between my need for emotional security and my need to achieve something of my own in the outer world. A part of me has always felt like the caregiver especially in the workplace, not someone who is a powerhouse mover and shaker. Yet I have chosen a line of work that seeks to nurture others (thank you, Cancer midheaven) while empowering them to take responsibility for themselves. But the tricky part was that I had to learn how to do that for myself first!

I absolutely loved what Molly Hall had to say about Pluto in her About Astrology July forecast. Her reference to Elaine Kantarian's Blue Moon Astrology on Pluto was spot on. "With Pluto the truth shall set you free, but first it will undoubtedly irritate, repulse, or scare the living daylights out of you."  Truer words were never spoken as we face an incredibly Plutonian 4th of July with the Sun opposing Pluto.

We are engaged in a cycle of purging and transformation. Don't be surprised if ugly and unpleasant issues, as well as old pain resurface, in addition to aspects of ourselves that we deny, such as qualities we find repulsive in others.

The moon did enter the sign of Libra in the wee hours of this 4th of July and perhaps it can bring a semblance of peace to the holiday. But it will also inconjunct Neptune on the 4th, so don't discount the need for some adjustments because there could be some deceptions or delusions present. And that Libra moon will aspect Uranus and Pluto over the weekend, triggering many issues of the Uranus Pluto square.  That aspect’s influence will remain with us through March 2015.

I'd also like to wish Molly Hall a Happy Birthday on this 4th of July.

If you are feeling confused during these challenging times, please consider getting an astrological reading to obtain more insight and assistance in the healing process. Check out my services page on this site at:


Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter for my daily astrological insights at:


No comments:

Post a Comment